In part one of the televised Seattle mayoral debate held at the KING 5 studios on October 9, 2013, incumbent Mayor Mike McGinn and State Senator Ed Murray responded to multiple questions, including the following:
- How are you different from your opponent?
- (To McGinn) After clashing with the council and others, how do you get things done in a second term?
- (To Murray) What responsibility do you bear for state legislative failures that affect Seattle?
- How do you clean up downtown so that people feel safe in Seattle?
- What would you do to make housing more affordable without overcrowding Seattle neighborhoods?