FEDERAL Way, Wash. – What happened in Bremerton caused Scott Depuy to talk to KING 5 Wednesday.
Nine children went to the hospital after police say two students brought prescription drugs to Mountain View Middle School. None of the kids were seriously harmed, but the two responsible face long suspensions and possible jail time.
Scott Depuy's 17-year-old son, Ryan, overdosed in 2008 on a mixture of cough syrup, painkillers and anti-anxiety drugs.
"I don't think people realize what is sitting on their vanity in their bathroom or what's sitting in their cabinet in their kitchen for anyone to come in and grab, they don't realize they need to treat that like a loaded gun," said Scott. "It's sitting in your house like a time bomb."
Scott says parents are as much to blame as the kids.
"The drug dealers are in our houses now. We are the drug dealers right now," said Scott. "We're very good about locking up our firearms. People don't realize what's in that prescription bottle. We're talking about the same thing."
Scott and police say prescriptions should be locked up and, when they're expired or no long needed, they should be thrown out.
Saturday, the Drug Enforcement Administration is providing drop boxes around the country to collect unneeded drugs. For more information and locations, click here.