Wallingford explosion caused by barbecue propane tank

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on July 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Updated Sunday, Jul 14 at 12:27 PM

Seattle firefighters say an early Sunday morning explosion at the Wallingford North Transfer Station was caused by a barbecue propane tank.

Dispatchers received several 911 calls around 8:24 a.m. from residents who heard the blast at the transfer station. Firefighters arrived but found no smoke or fire.

Investigators said the explosion came from the metal recycling building. An improperly disposed barbecue propane tank in a metal recycling bin exploded when an operator was compacting the recycled metals.

The explosion was contained to the metal recycling building. The blast blew out the windows of an unoccupied station truck, but no one was injured.

Print
Email
|