Victim's mother warns of child rapist's upcoming release


by Heather Graf / KING 5 News

Bio | Email | Follow: @HeatherGrafK5

Posted on June 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Updated Monday, Jun 16 at 6:27 AM

With the release of a convicted child rapist set for Monday afternoon, the mother of one of his victims is urging the community to be careful.  She says she's certain Cory Roberts will hurt someone else.

It was August of 1990 when Kelly McGinnis says Cory Roberts changed her entire world.

Back then, he was just 13-years-old.  McGinnis responded to an ad he'd placed in the newspaper offering babysitting services, and hired him to keep an eye on her three-year-old daughter.

Instead of watching the little girl, Roberts brutally beat and raped her.  McGinnis still remembers seeing her daughter for the first time, in the hospital.

"They finally let me see her, and these bruises on her face, on her body, were just starting to appear," she said.  "A the doctors were asking me were those there when you left her, and I said no.  Then the police came in and started telling us that they thought she was raped, and my heart sank."

Her daughter survived the attack, but was left with partial paralysis, blindness in one eye, and brain damage.  She's now 27 years old.

"She's mentally ten, and will stay that way for the rest of her life," said McGinnis.

Roberts was convicted of raping her daughter in 1990.  He served additional time for sexually assaulting two young boys while he was in a juvenile detention center.  Then, he was released in 2001, re-offended yet again, and was taken back into custody.

Two weeks ago, McGinnis got a call notifying her that Roberts, who is now 37, was being released from the McNeil Island Special Commitment Center.

"June 16th, he's getting out," she said.  "I'm afraid for the public.  They've got to know who he is, what he's done, and what he's capable of."

McGinnis does not blame the King County Prosecutor's Office.  She feels they did everything they could to keep Roberts in custody, as long as they could.

Now, she worries another family will go through what hers did. 

"It's not just 'cause he's getting out. It's because I know he's going to hurt someone else," she said. 

She's been told he's being released Monday at noon, to a halfway house in Tacoma.  McGinnis has already asked the courts for an order of protection, prohibiting him from having contact with her daughter.

She hopes people across Western Washington won't forget his name, his face, or what he did to her daughter.

"Knowledge is power.  Just be aware, be safe, please," she said. "Just watch out for him.  He did damage to so many people."