Renton toddler died from methadone overdose, says medical examiner

Renton toddler died from methadone overdose, says medical examiner

Credit: KING

Renton toddler died from methadone overdose, says medical examiner

Print
Email
|

by ELISA HAHN / KING 5 News

Bio | Email | Follow: @ElisaHahnK5

Posted on July 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Updated Thursday, Jul 10 at 6:39 PM

SEATTLE -- The King County Medical Examiner determined a Renton toddler died from a drug overdose.

Three-year-old Kaiden Acord died from "an acute combined Methadone and Alprazolam intoxication" on May 1. Methadone is a drug used to treat heroin addiction. Alprazolam is the drug in Xanax.

His mother told police she found him at her boyfriend's house unconscious and unresponsive. They rushed him to the hospital where he was declared dead.

Renton police say the boyfriend has a legal prescriptions for both drugs. It is unclear whether the methadone was locked up, which is required by law.

A police department spokesperson say they were waiting on toxicology reports before forwarding the case to the prosecutor's office, which will decide whether or not to press charges.
 

Print
Email
|