PSE sending out stinky bills to highlight natural gas safety

PSE sending out stinky bills to highlight natural gas safety

PSE sending out stinky bills to highlight natural gas safety

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on September 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Updated Sunday, Sep 8 at 10:05 AM

Puget Sound Energy will be sending customers something that stinks. More than 1.5 million homes and businesses will get a scratch-and-sniff pamphlet with their billing statements through October.
 
With a little scratch, the pamphLet emits a sulfur-like aroma. Some might think it smells like rotten eggs, but it's actually intended to remind customers of what it would smell like if there's a natural gas leak at home.

PSE says everyone in a family needs to recognize the odor, and know what to do if they smell it.
 

  •  If a natural gas odor is detected inside or outside a house or building, or if a leak is suspected, everyone should get out immediately.
  •  Do not switch any lights or appliances on or off.
  •  Do not use cell or landline phones.
  •  Do not use anything that might create a spark or has a flame, such a lighting a match or a cigarette.
  •  When far away from the area, call 911, or PSE’s 24-hour emergency hotline at 1-888-225-5773.  PSE’s natural gas technicians will respond immediately from our service centers at no charge to check out a problem.
  •  A hissing sound, blowing dirt or bubbles in a puddle may also indicate a possible natural gas leak.

 

Print
Email
|