Oregon girl swallows 37 magnetized steel balls

Oregon girl swallows 37 magnetized steel balls

Oregon girl swallows 37 magnetized steel balls

Print
Email
|

by KGW Staff

KING5.com

Posted on March 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM

PORTLAND -- A 3-year-old was recovering Monday at Legacy Emanuel Hospital after doctors removed 37 'Buckyballs' magnets from her intestines.

Payton Bushnell complained to her parents of symptoms that resembled the flu, Legacy spokeswoman Maegan Vidal told KGW. Then, they took her in to get checked.

Doctors took an X-ray (see photo) and found the balls, clustered in her stomach. She was expected to fully recover and was listed in good condition Monday morning. She has been in the hospital since Feb. 21.

The Buckyballs company issued a statement at the top of its web page Monday morning:

Buckyballs was saddened to learn that a 3-year old girl in Oregon had swallowed high-powered magnets but we are relieved that she is expected to make a full recovery. This unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults. They are not toys and are not intended for children. We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children.

 

Print
Email
|