Soccer star Hope Solo enters not guilty plea



Bio | Email | Follow: @ChrisDaniels5

Posted on June 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Updated Monday, Jun 23 at 5:02 PM

KIRKLAND - Hope Solo said very little during a Monday hearing that determined her immediate freedom.
Solo was jailed over the weekend after Kirkland Police said they were called to a home by a person who said a woman was "going crazy and hitting people."  
Officers who responded said Solo was believed to be the aggressor in a violatile situation.
Solo plead not guilty to two counts of 4th degree assault. The court then released the probable cause for her arrest.
It says that Solo came to the home, where her half sister lives, because she was "upset about the fact that her husband refused to take her to catch a flight because he was being a jerk."  Solo is married to former UW and Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens, and she is identified in the papers by her married name.
The US Women's team had played the previous day in Connecticut, and the US Soccer Federation had claimed in a press release Solo was unavailable do to a "family commitment."
The court documents say the family members claimed Solo drank "a lot of wine" and began insulting her nephew.  The documents says the fight escalated, to the point that Solo attacked her nephew with a closed fist and lightly connected with his face.  After a tussle, say the documents, the nephew told police that Solo started punching him in the face repeatedly.
The documents say the victims claimed that Solo's half sister attempted to break up the fight and Solo then started punching her.  The nephew admitted to police that he used a wooden broom and "broke it over her head to get her to stop assaulting" his mother, and at one point even waved an old BB gun in Solo's face to get her to leave the home.  He said Solo would not leave and kept "circling like a shark."
Kirkland Police released photos, which they say show visible bruising, swelling, and cuts to both victims.
Solo denied the claims to officers at the scene, according to court documents.
One officer wrote that Solo's eyes were "red and bloodshot" and her "speech was slurred and I could smell the odor of intoxicating liquor on her breath."
The same officer said they asked Solo how the argument had escalated to physical contact, and that "Stevens look(ed) away from me and began to cry."  The officer noted that Solo had no obvious signs of injuries, and became agitated by the officer's questions.
Solo's attorney issued a statement later that Saturday, proclaiming her innocence.
That prompted her half sister to call police dispatchers again on Sunday, according to Kirkland Police report.  Officers said they noticed increased swelling on the victims, and Solo's half sister told them Solo recently had multiple arguments with her husband.  

The alleged victim told police she came home from dinner on Friday to find Solo sitting in front of her house, in her vehicle, and that she was intoxicated.  The officer said that the victim's doctor said there was a possibility her cheekbone was fractured during the assault.
Jerramy Stevens was in the courtoom for the brief hearing, but left without speaking to the media. He was arrested for domestic violence in 2012, but was never charged.  Solo, the alleged victim at the time, told reporters then that she would never stand for it.
"It's unfortunate what the media can do to judge before the facts are out there. It's hard to see, but it's a hard truth, and it's part of life," she said then. "I'm happy. I'm happily married. I would never stand for domestic violence. I've never been hit in my life."
Solo is scheduled to make another court appearance on Aug. 11.
Her club team, the Seattle Reign FC, has already announced it is closing practice to the media this week.

(KING 5's Chris Daniels was at Solo's court appearance and was tweeting the latest updates)

Officers responded to her sister's home just before 1 a.m. Saturday after receiving a 911 call that a woman at the Kirkland residence was hitting people and that she refused to stop or leave, the Kirkland Police Department said in a news release.

They found Solo intoxicated and upset, saw injuries on her nephew and her sister, and arrested her after speaking with those present and determining that she was the primary aggressor, the release said.

A telephone number listed for her was not accepting incoming calls Saturday, and the voice mail for a listing at the sister's home was full.

The sister was not identified by police, but in her memoir, Solo writes that she has a half sister named Terry.

Solo, 32, has won two Olympic gold medals for the U.S. women's national team. She also plays with the Seattle Reign of the National Women's Soccer League.

"We are aware of the situation with Hope and are now gathering information," the Reign posted on the team's Twitter feed.

In 2012, she married former Seattle Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens. He was arrested just before their wedding for investigation of assault after a disturbance involving her, but he was not charged. Maybrown represented Stevens in that case.

Solo said soon afterward that there never was an assault and that she and her new husband were happy.

"It's unfortunate what the media can do to judge before the facts are out there. It's hard to see, but it's a hard truth, and it's part of life," she said then. "I'm happy. I'm happily married. I would never stand for domestic violence. I've never been hit in my life."

In her last appearance for the U.S., Solo recorded her 71st career shutout, a 1-0 victory over France on June 14 in Tampa, Florida. She sat out the team's game against France on Thursday night in Connecticut.