King Co. health department warns about deadly mushrooms

King Co. health department warns about deadly mushrooms

Amanita phalloides, commonly known as the death cap, is a deadly poisonous basidiomycete fungus.

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on October 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Updated Tuesday, Oct 12 at 1:16 PM

KING COUNTY, Wash. – Local health officials are warning people to be very careful when they are out looking for mushrooms. A Bellevue woman was hospitalized just last month after eating the Amanita phalloides species of mushroom – also known as "death cap."

The woman has since recovered.

Officials say death cap mushrooms, are highly toxic. They cannot be distinguished from safe mushrooms using taste or smell. Symptoms of poisoning include abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea. The first symptoms usually start within six to 24 hours of ingestion. Poisoning may result in damage to the liver and other vital organs, or even death.

"It takes extensive knowledge to know which mushrooms are safe to eat and which are poisonous," said Dr. David Fleming, Director and Health Officer for Public Health - Seattle & King County.

Fkeming says Amanita phalloides look very much like some edible types of mushrooms and increasingly can be found in the wild, in local parks, and even in our own back yards.

"Only people who really know what they're doing should eat mushrooms they've picked themselves," he said.

Although cases of poisoning from Amanita phalloides have been reported in Portland and British Columbia, the poisonous mushrooms were thought to be rare in Washington state until recently. There have been increasing numbers of the mushrooms spotted this fall, perhaps due to the wet weather.

"Mushroom poisonings are almost always caused by people eating wild mushrooms collected by nonspecialists," said Dr. William Hurley, Medical Director for Washington Poison Center.

Hurley said people hunting for wild mushrooms - especially novices - might misidentify a toxic species, or recent immigrants might mistake a poisonous mushroom for an edible mushroom from their native land.

"In fact, the reported cases of poisoning by Amanita phalloides in the Northwest have been immigrants from Thailand, Cambodia and Laos," he said.

The Puget Sound Mycological Society offers mushroom identification clinics for the public on Mondays from 4-7 p.m. at the University of Washington's Center for Urban Horticulture through the end of October.

If you suspect you may have eaten a poisonous mushroom, do not wait for symptoms to appear. Call Washington Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222 right away.

Print
Email
|