Grocery store employees at four major supermarket chains in King County will be picketing from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday.
The employees from Safeway, Albertsons, Fred Meyer and QFC are picketing to promote a fair contract for 30,000 Puget Sound union workers.
The previous three-year contract expired on May 4th, but was extended into July for further bargaining on a new contract. The workers and grocery store management have been negotiating since March.
Workers say grocery store management wants to:
- Eliminate health care coverage for thousands of workers
- Cut holiday pay
- Offer no wage increases
- Take away paid sick days for Seattle workers and forbid others in the region from getting them
- Cut the "10 cent above minimum wage" guarantee for lowest paid workers
The workers are members of three unions: UFCW 21, UFCW 367, and Teamsters 38.
The picketing will take place in front of 12 stores around Puget Sound:
- Seattle - Roosevelt Safeway - 7300 Roosevelt Way NE
- Seattle - Harvard Market QFC - 1401 E Broadway
- W. Seattle Safeway - 2622 California Ave SW
- Bremerton - Safeway - 900 N. Callow Ave
- Duvall - Safeway - 14020 Main St. NE
- Enumclaw - Safeway -152 Roosevelt Way E.
- Gig Harbor - Fred Meyer - 5500 Olympic Drive
- Kent - Safeway - 20830 108th Ave SE
- Lynden - Safeway - 8071 Guide Meridian Road #101
- North Bend - Safeway - 460 SW Mt. Si Blvd
- Renton - Highlands Safeway 4300 N.E. 4th St.
- Tacoma - Fred Meyer - 6901 South 19th