Dog alerts residents to Monroe Christmas tree fire

Dog alerts residents to Monroe Christmas tree fire

Dog alerts residents to Monroe Christmas tree fire

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on December 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Dogs woke sleeping residents when a Christmas tree caught fire at a Monroe home Saturday morning.

The fire was reported just after 8 a.m. in the 15300 block of 182nd Avenue SE in Monroe.

One sleeping resident was alerted by the dog and the resident yelled and awoke the other occupant in the home. Both residents escaped safely with their dogs.

Fire investigators determined the fire began at the Christmas tree. The fire destroyed the home. The loss is estimated at $85,000.

“This is a great time to remind people to ensure that holiday lighting should be unplugged before going to bed,” said Monroe Fire Marshal Michael Fitzgerald. “Live Christmas trees must be watered, and should be removed from the home following the holiday. Additionally, never wind or tie an electrical cord around itself. This can lead to unsafe heating of the electrical cords.”

Nineteen firefighters from Monroe, Sultan, and Maltby responded.

The Red Cross is assisting the residents with temporary housing and clothing.

Print
Email
|