TACOMA, Wash. - The 14-year-old boy accused of a sexual attack on a 7-year-old Puyallup girl was convicted of assault in 2012.
According to juvenile court records, the boy kicked two deputies and tried to choke his younger brother with a seatbelt.
He was placed on six-months probation.
His criminal past was one reason prosecutors in juvenile court Tuesday said they want to charge the boy as an adult for an incident that happened behind a Puyallup apartment complex.
The boy pleaded not guilty to juvenile charges of attempted murder, rape, rape of a child and kidnapping.
Investigators say last week the boy lured the girl into the woods behind a Puyallup apartment complex. He is accused of hitting her, choking her until she passed out and leaving her in the woods.
The girl was able to identify the boy to police, according to investigators.
The children live in different units in the complex.
Pierce County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Kevin Benton said the county will seek permission to eventually charge the boy as an adult.
If he is convicted in adult court, the boy could spend 30 years in prison.
Benton said it could be months before the county knows if it can proceed with adult charges.