Topping the charts in nutrition and flavor, Chinese broccoli stands out this week. Sous Chef Michelle Nguyen of Seattle's Joule Restaurant adds Szechuan peppercorn and walnut pesto to this grilled green for a delicious healthy dish.
Grilled Chinese Broccoli with Walnut Pesto
By Sous Chef Michelle Ngyuen of Joule Restaurant
1 bun Chinese broccoli
½ cup Walnut, toasted
1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorn, toasted
½ cup Canola oil
¼ cup Sherry vinegar
1 tsp Salt
1. Blanch Chinese broccoli in salted water.
2. Using mortar and pestle or food processor, make the walnut pesto by grinding walnut, Szechuan peppercorn, salt, with canola oil and sherry vinegar.
3. Toss the broccoli with a little oil, salt and pepper. Grill them until they are charred slightly.
4. Toss the grilled broccoli with the walnut pesto.
5. At Joule, the broccoli is served with garlic confit. Simmer whole peeled garlic cloves in olive oil with optional herbs, thyme sprigs, bay leaves and dried red chilies for 30 minutes on low heat.