Eating healthy doesn't mean you can't enjoy a few splurges - like pancakes - now and then. But you can make them healthier without sacrificing taste. Rachel Yang from Joule Restaurant in Seattle shows us how.
Buckwheat pancake, winter citrus
1 cup All Purpose flour
¼ cup Buckwheat flour
3 tbsp Sugar
1 ¾ tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Milk
2 ea Egg, separated (whip the egg white to add separately)
3 tbsp Butter, melted
1. Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Combine milk and egg yolk.
3. Mix dry and wet ingredients together.
4. Add melted butter.
5. Fold in whipped egg white.
1 cup Mixed winter citrus slices, such as navel orange, pink grapefruit, cara cara orange.
¼ cup Buckwheat honey
1 sprig Thyme
1. Macerate the citrus slices with buckwheat honey and thyme leaves.
1. Heat non stick pan with little clarified butter.
2. Cook pancake.
3. Serve with macerated winter citrus.
4. At Joule, the pancake is served with toasted walnut, whipped crème fraiche and chervil.