Faulty wiring causes West Seattle apartment fire

Print
Email
|

by ROBERTA ROMERO / KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on April 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM

SEATTLE -- Seattle Fire Department investigators say a faulty wire in a kitchen stove was the cause of an overnight apartment fire at a West Seattle apartment complex.

Around 2:00 am, firefighters arrived at the Barton Court apartments to find smoke and flames coming from a first floor unit. The fire was contained to the one unit, but smoke filled the rest of the complex.

Residents were forced to leave their homes as smoke alarms blared through the building.

"I heard the smoke alarm, and was hoping it wasn't too bad, but when I opened the door, smoke was billowing on the stairwell," said David, who didn't want to give his last name.

About 30 people were evacuated and at least a dozen dogs and several cats.

"This is one of the few apartment complexes that doesn't have restrictions on dog breeds, so there are a lot of them here," says Rae Taylor, who had her dog Riley with her.

"She was really spooked, but after we got out she calmed down," says Taylor.

The evacuees were put on a Metro bus to keep warm. They were allowed to return to their apartments this morning.

The unit where the fire started was destroyed. The woman who lived there is the only resident who was not able to go home.

Print
Email
|