SPD swarms Eastlake neighborhood in weapons raid



Bio | Email | Follow: @Jimformanking5


Posted on April 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Updated Friday, Apr 20 at 6:03 PM

UPDATE, 11 a.m. Friday: Seattle Police said they recovered a grenade launcher and automatic weapons in their Thursday night raid of a house in Eastlake.

Officers found two AR-15 assault rifles, one of which was equipped with a military style grenade launcher. 

Police said six of the eight people arrested in the raid were interviewed and later released. Two people wanted on outstanding warrants were booked into the King County Jail.

Updates to follow.

Thursday night's story:

SEATTLE -- At a joint press conference between the Seattle Police Department, FBI and the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms law enforcers said they were working to sweep guns off the street. On Thursday night they took that to heart.

First the SWAT team, then the Seattle Bomb Squad moved in as they initiated a big bust in the Eastlake neighborhood. 
It was near the intersection of Minor Avenue East and East Louisa Street where police say they collared a violent felon, who was locked and loaded.
A house full of people were ordered out and then detained.  Police say it all started with a tip just hours earlier.
"That there was a violent felon located in this neighborhood," said Lt. Michael Kebba with the SPD narcotics division.
Officers say they came looking for a man named James Hendrix wanted by the U.S. Marshals and they took no chances. The tip said the house was full of weapons, assault rifles and possibly a grenade launcher.
It was all very unsettling for this neighborhood, not used to crime and chaos, let alone the heavily armed SWAT team.
"To have something like that is really a surprise," said one neighbor.
Police took the time to ease neighbors fears including Fred Campbell's
"To think that there is danger lurking behind one of those doors, is both surprising and of course disturbing," said Campbell.
"If we get a tip about assault rifles that may be in the community especially illegally in possession of those...we are going to pursue those and that's what we did here today," said Lt. Kebba.
And because of all the precautions police were taking, it appears this is also an ongoing drug investigation.