Seattle Police one person was critically injured in a natural gas explosion at a motel on Aurora Avenue North Monday morning.
The explosion blew the door off one room and damaged another at the Klose In Motel in the 9300 block of Aurora Avenue North.
"The whole building ...got blown out completely, demolished completely like a bomb," said Michelle Dupree, a resident. "A man was rolling around in pain."
Medics transported a man in his 40s to the Harborview Medical Center burn unit with critical injuries. He remained in critical condition at Harborview's ICU Monday afternoon.
"I was in a panic mode to get out of there. That's all I could think of," said Chris LeMay, who was napping in the next door unit when the explosion happened. "It was dark in my room and everything kind of blew up on toward me. Threw (things) on my hair and my chest, my feet, my bed. Everthing's gone."
Seattle Fire Department said the blast was a natural gas explosion. Damage was estimated at $55,000.
The 32-unit motel was evacuated and the gas line to the building was turned off as a precaution. Firefighters were also assessing the structural integrity of the building.
The owner of the motel said 46 people were staying at the motel at the time of the explosion. The Red Cross is helping provide temporary housing for the displaced residents, many of whom are low income, disabled and struggling to survive.
The Red Cross is setting up temporary housing at the Phinney Ridge Lutheran Church, 7500 Greenwood Avenue North. They will have sleeping accomodations, showers and food for those residents displaced by the explosion.