KENT, Wash. -- Police have arrested a 15-year-old Kent boy for two sexual assaults that occurred late last month.
The juvenile suspect was arrested without incident shortly after noon on Monday in the Covington area.
Kent Police started their investigation Halloween weekend following the attacks on two teenage girls. One of the victims was 17-years-old, and the other victim was 19.
One victim was attacked October 29, the other on October 30. Both incidents occurred in close proximity to the Kent Kangley Road and the description of the assailant provided by each victim was strikingly similar.
According to police, in both of the crimes, the boy approached the women on foot from behind. He told the victims he had a weapon and raped them.
As the investigation unfolded, police flooded the east Kent area with officers. Several persons that bore a resemblance to the suspect’s description were identified. Investigators also distributed composite sketches of the suspect, developed with the assistance of both victims. Those drawings generated a number of tips. As the investigation moved forward, information about the 15-year-old came to the attention of detectives from several sources and eventually led to his arrest.
According to Kent Police Commander Pat Lowery, after the 15-year-old boy was arrested, the 19-year-old woman positively identified him as the attacker.
“We are extremely happy to have this suspect in custody,” said Lowery. “Our hope is that this arrest will help restore the community’s sense of security”.
The boy was booked into the King County Juvenile Detention Center in Seattle on two counts of rape and two counts of kidnapping.
The police investigation will continue as investigators continue to sort through the physical evidence and statements collected during the past week. Charges are expected to be filed in the next few days.
Information regarding the identity of the suspect will not be released due to the youths’ age.
KING 5's Drew Mikkelsen contributed to this report.