TACOMA, Wash. -- A federal judge is declining to halt construction of a new explosives wharf at Naval Base Kitsap.
The U.S. Navy has said the new wharf is needed to help handle Trident nuclear submarines. But two peace groups and the Suquamish Tribe filed two separate lawsuits last year, arguing that the Navy withheld information and that the $715 million project would violate treaty fishing rights in Hood Canal.
U.S. District Judge Ronald Leighton in Tacoma declined to issue a preliminary injunction blocking the construction. In an opinion Friday, he said the Navy appeared to have satisfied relevant environmental laws and that the Suquamish Tribe failed to show that the construction would affect any right to fish.