The man charged in the Christmas Eve shooting death of a man at Bellevue’s Munchbar was arrested Wednesday night.
Ja’mari Alexander Jones, 19, was caught during a traffic stop in Lakewood. Bellevue police said Lakewood officers randomly ran the plate of the Toyota Corolla Jones and his 20-year-old girlfriend were riding in. The vehicle had been reported stolen.
Jones was arrested without incident, booked into the King County Jail and held on $5 million bail on a second degree murder charge.
"This makes me very happy. Unfortunately, nothing can bring Deshawn back,” said Cheneice Dunn, a friend of shooting victim Deshawn Milliken. “Deshawn was a very good guy. He was a very caring, happy, loving person and would give the clothes off his back to anybody."
Jones is accused of firing the shots that killed Milliken and seriously injuring another person on the morning of Dec. 24. In the probable cause document, a Bellevue Police detective described the video evidence used to determine Jones was responsible for the shots that killed Milliken.
"The video shows the defendant brandishing a pistol and pointing it at Deshawn Milliken. The defendant can be seen firing at least one gunshot. Deshawn Milliken and [Michael J.] Cheatham fall to the ground and the defendant ... continues pointing the gun toward them. Subsequent investigation has determined that at least five shots were fired by the defendant.”
Cheatham, who was at Munchbar with Jones, was wounded in the melee and was interviewed later by police at a nearby hospital.
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said last week that several Seahawks players were in the bar at the time, celebrating Sunday's win against 49ers, but were not involved in the shooting.
Police said Jones was one of three teens responsible for the 2008 beating death of Ed McMichael, a beloved Seattle figure known as "Tuba Man." McMichael, who played his tuba outside of Seattle sports and entertainment venues, was robbed and severely beaten at a bus stop near Seattle Center in October 2008.
Jones served only 36 weeks in juvenile detention for the killing. Prosecutors said they couldn't mount a stronger case and try him as an adult because too few witnesses came forward.
"We would have liked to have sought adult prosecution, but we just didn't have the strength in the case to do it," said King County Deputy Prosecutor Ian Goodhew "We had a choice and the choice was clear. We either prosecuted them as juveniles for manslaughter or we didn't prosecute them at all."