Munchbar, scene of Christmas Eve shooting, won't reopen

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News

KING5.com

Posted on January 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Updated Thursday, Jan 3 at 1:08 PM

The Bellevue restaurant and bar where one man was killed early Christmas Eve will not reopen, according to the owners of the mall where the venue is located.

"Kemper Development Company and the owners of Munchbar/Mirror Lounge have mutually agreed to not reopen the restaurant and lounge," the statement said. "Both parties determined this would be best for the community, guests and the families involved."

The news comes just hours after the suspect in the Dec. 24 incident was arrested in following a traffic stop in Lakewood. Ja’mari Alexander Jones, 19, was detained after Lakewood officers randomly ran the plate of the Toyota Corolla Jones and his 20-year-old girlfriend were riding in. The vehicle had been reported stolen.

Jones is accused of firing the shots that killed Deshawn Milliken and seriously injuring another person. He has been charged with second-degree murder and is being held on $5 million bail.

Six hundred people were in Munchbar at the time of the shooting. The crowd included members of the Seahawks football team, who were celebrating their win hours earlier over the San Francisco 49ers.

Police said Jones was one of three teens responsible for the 2008 beating death of Ed McMichael, a beloved Seattle figure known as "Tuba Man." McMichael, who played his tuba outside of Seattle sports and entertainment venues, was robbed and severely beaten at a bus stop near Seattle Center in October 2008.

Print
Email
|