Criminal complaint: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev 'calm' after first explosion

Criminal complaint: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev 'calm' after first explosion

Credit: Getty Images

BOSTON - APRIL 16: Investigators in white jumpsuits work the crime scene on Boylston Street following yesterday's bomb attack at the Boston Marathon April 16, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. Security is tight in the City of Boston following yesterday's two bomb explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, that killed three people and wounding hundreds more. (Photo by Darren McCollester/Getty Images)

Print
Email
|

by KING 5 News and Associated Press

KING5.com

Posted on April 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 23 at 7:18 AM

BOSTON - The Boston marathon bombing suspect has been charged with using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction against persons and property resulting in death.

In the criminal complaint outlining the allegations, investigators said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his brother each placed a knapsack containing a bomb in the crowd near the finish line of the 26.2-mile race.

The FBI said surveillance-camera footage showed Dzhokhar manipulating his cellphone and lifting it to his ear just instants before the two blasts.

After the first blast, a block away from Dzhokhar, "virtually every head turns to the east ... and stares in that direction in apparent bewilderment and alarm," the complaint says. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, "virtually alone of the individuals in front of the restaurant, appears calm."

He then quickly walked away, leaving a knapsack on the ground; about 10 seconds later, a bomb blew up at the spot where he had been standing, the FBI said.

The FBI did not say whether he was using his cellphone to detonate one or both of the bombs or whether he was talking to someone.
 

Tsarnaev complaint

Print
Email
|