Drivers in Western Washington might experience slow traffic in the Seattle area this weekend. Depending on the weather, crews will move forward with several critical highway improvement projects, which would affect traffic flow on Interstate 5 through the University District and in South Seattle. Delays are also expected on southbound Interstate 405 between Kirkland and Bothell Saturday night.
I-5 South Seattle
Crews are hoping to complete the final pieces of work on northbound I-5 between South Albro Place and the West Seattle Bridge.
- Up to three lanes of northbound I-5 between South Albro Place and the West Seattle Freeway will be closed Friday night to Saturday morning, and again Saturday night to Sunday morning. The first lane will close at 8 p.m. All lanes will reopen by 11 a.m. Saturday and noon Sunday.
- The northbound I-5 Swift/Albro Place on-ramp will close for the duration of the lane closures. Drivers will be detoured to the South Michigan Street on-ramp.
I-5 University District
Crews plan to replace concrete panels, leading to a smoother and safer commute for drivers.
- Up to two lanes of southbound I-5 from Northeast Ravenna Boulevard to Boylston Avenue will close from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 a.m. Saturday.
- The on-ramp from Northeast Ravenna Boulevard to southbound I-5 will close from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 a.m. Saturday.
- The I-5 express lanes will be open in the southbound direction overnight to help with the potential congestion.
Crews will close up to three lanes of southbound I-405 between Kirkland and Bothell overnight Saturday as part of the Bellevue to Lynnwood Express Toll Lanes Project.
- Up to two lanes of southbound I-405 between Northeast 195th Street and SR 522 will close from 8 p.m. Saturday to 8 a.m. Sunday.
- Up to three lanes of southbound I-405 between SR 522 and Northeast 128th Street will close from 8 p.m. Saturday to 7 a.m. Sunday.
- The following ramps will be closed from 11 p.m. Saturday to 8 a.m. Sunday:
- The eastbound and westbound SR 522 on-ramps to southbound I-405
- The Northeast 160th Street on-ramp to southbound I-405
- The southbound I-405 off-ramp to Northeast 160th Street