SEQUIM -- Fire destroyed two Sequim businesses Monday, destroying a buiilding many in town knew for decades as everything from a wild tavern to an Indian restaurant.
Clallam County Fire District 3 said the fire likely started in the attic around 1:15 p.m. No immediate cause was given. The building is a total loss.
Brian Barrick, owner of Sequim Consignment Company, first spotted the fire in the roof of his business.
"I grabbed a fire extinguisher and put the flame out," recalled Barrick, "Went up a ladder and in the attic, there was light up there and it should be pitch black."
Barrick called 9-1-1, and soon the entire place was on fire, he said.
"I love my employees," he said, "This hurts."
Candy Diesen bought the building ten years ago, and put "a lot of blood, sweat and tears" into the property.
"I was fortunate to have wonderful tenants in it," Diesen continued, "It's just really sad."
Both the store and the Baja Cantina restaurant were evacuated quickly. No one was injured.