A boil-water advisory was issued Wednesday for the Clearwood Community Association in Yelm after E. coli was discovered during a routine test of the water.
The advisory affects about 2,800 residents of the development on Bald Hill Road, about 10 miles southeast of Yelm.
To kill the E. coli bacteria, customers should boil tap water they'll use for drinking, brushing teeth, preparing food, making ice, and washing dishes. Water should be heated to a brisk boil for one minute and then allowed to cool before using.
Officials began the disinfection process for the water on Wednesday. The state will inspect the system on Thursday to look for the source of the contamination.