Posted on December 15, 2010 at 2:59 PM
Monday, Jan 3 at 2:16 PM
Stuffed chicken legs
Makes 8 generous servings
100 g (about 4 ounces) ground chicken meat
100 g (about 4 ounces or 4 slices) bacon, diced
1 small shallot, finely chopped
½ pound mushrooms, top portion only, finely chopped
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
4 ounces (1 stick) butter
Dash of cayenne pepper
8 chicken legs and thigh quarters
String (kitchen twine or butcher’s twine or trussing string)
50ml (about 3 tablespoons) oil or goose fat
Reserved thigh bones and chicken wings
2-3 tablespoons oil
½ onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
2-3 parsley stems without leaves
1 bay leaf
50 ml (about 3 tablespoons) port wine
50 ml (about 3 tablespoons) Madeira or red wine
200 ml (about 8 ounces or 1 cup) chicken stock
1. For the stuffing, grind together the ground chicken and bacon in a food processor with a little bit of white pepper.
2. Heat a skillet with 2 tablespoons butter, add shallots and sauté. Add mushrooms and 2 tablespoons butter and sauté. Add cream, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate duxelle until cold.
3. Stir together chicken and mushroom. Season with cayenne.
4. Bone the chicken thighs, reserve bones for sauce. Fill thigh with the stuffing and tie closed. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat oven 400°F. Brown stuffed chicken thigh in the oil or fat until nicely browned. Finish in the oven at for 30-40 minutes or until chicken tests done (juices run clear in the thickest part of the meat or an insta-read thermometer reads 160-165°F.
6. For the sauce, brown the bones in oil until a fond develops. Add vegetable and seasonings. Add wine (both) and deglaze. Add chicken stock. Simmer (up to 1 hour). Strain. Continue to simmer and reduce.
Serve with rice.