Cranberry Nut Pie
By Dani Cone owner of High 5 Pie
Makes one 7” pie
Crust: Use your favorite double crust recip or here's one of High 5 Pie’s favorites:
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 C butter, ice cold, cut into 1/2" cubes
3/4 C ice cold water
1. In large bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well
2. Add in cubes of butter and mix gently with pastry cutter, fork, or hands. Incorporate butter with dry ingredients, mix lightly. Butter pieces should be well-coated in dry mixture and somewhat flattened out.
3. Gradually add in cold water, a tbsp at a time, and continue mixing until dough comes together and forms pea- or crouton-sized crumbs. Dough should look like coarse, individual pieces.
4. With your hands, gather crumbs together to form dough into 2 patties. Be careful not to over-handle dough, but gently mold crumb-like mix into each patty and then wrap separately in plastic wrap.
5. Chill for at least one hour or up to 3 days.
6. When you're ready to use dough, remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften and make it more workable. Roll it out on a floured surface, and if needed, use flour sparsely.
Cranberry Nut Filling:
4 C cranberries, fresh or thawed
1 C orange juice
1/2 C generous brown sugar
1/4 C chopped walnuts, plus extra for garnish
1/4 C chopped pecans, plus extra for garnish
3 tbsp plus 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
optional cookie top (or omit these next ingredients and make a double crust top)
1/2 C sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/3 C melted butter
1. Soak cranberries in orange juice for 30 minutes. Drain orange juice, reserving 1 tsp of juice.
2. In large bowl, combine cranberries, brown sugar, walnuts, pecans, 3 tbsp flour, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Fill pie shell with cranberry and nut mixture, set aside.
4. Optional cookie top: in a medium bowl, beat egg until thick. Gradually add sugar and beat well. Beat in 1/2 C flour, vanilla, melted butter, and reserved orange juice. Beat well until mixture is smooth. Spoon cookie top over pie, spread around as best you can...doesn't need to be perfect! (or just drape a double crust over top of pie)
5. Bake at 375 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.