When Dr. Jerry Mixon founded Longevity Medical Clinic, he envisioned a place where men and women could receive the treatments they needed to live their most optimal lives. This begins with a complete panel of tests to check a number of hormone levels, test many doctors do not provide. Today, Dr. Mixon talked about a panel of tests that help determine a patient's risk for inflammation, stroke and heart disease.
For more information about Longevity Medical Clinic, please visit their website: www.LMClinic.com
Or, call them: 1-866-86-YOUNG
Here's a list of their FREE upcoming Longevity seminars:
Saturday, March 16, 2013 starting at 11:07am at the Bellevue Sheraton Hotel
Saturday, March 16, 2013 starting at 5:07pm at the Tacoma Convention Center
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 starting at 7:07pm at the Bellevue Sheraton Hotel
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 starting at 7:07pm at the Lynnwood Convention Center
Here's more information about the tests Dr. Mixon discussed on the show today as crucial tests, as well as one additional test to help determine a patient's risk for inflammation, stroke and heart disease:
High sensitivity CRP:
The high sensitivity, complement reactive protein (CRP) is involved in inflammatory changes within the heart and blood vessels, to a lesser degree in the brain, and at high levels of the joints. The normal range runs from 1 to 3. Within this range your risk of heart disease, strokes, and dementia are pretty much average, and tend to be influenced more by blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressures. My ideal is to keep your level below one. When this study comes back over about eight, it usually reflects a systemic inflammation, such as arthritis. The more modest production of CRP from blood vessels is hidden by the high production from the joints. So when we see these very high levels. We aren’t able to tell much about your cardiovascular system.
This is a pseudo-amino acid which is involved in development of dementia, and to a more modest degree, heart disease and strokes. The normal range is under 12, which are risks continue to decline until you get below the ideal range of about 7.5.
Hemoglobin A-1 C:
Hemoglobin A-1 C tells us what your average blood sugar has run over the course of the last three months. The higher your A-1 C, the faster your brain shrinks and the higher risk of dementia and cardiovascular disease. While the normal range of A1 C is between 4.2 and 6, the loss of brain tissue and damage to your heart and blood vessels is about three times higher at the end of the normal range than at the lower portion of the normal range. Anything over six moves you into diabetic territory.
In the setting of this panel, testosterone is a good indicator of heart function, and your risk of death should you have a heart attack. People within the bottom 25 percentile of the normal range are significantly more likely to die if they have a heart attack than those above the 25th percentile. This hormone also is intimately involved in drive, ambition, and stress tolerance for both men and women.
This is your basic cholesterol panel. The triglycerides are short chain fats that are made from the sugar in your blood. People who run higher than ideal levels of blood sugar tend to run higher triglycerides. As the triglycerides circulate through your bloodstream, they are captured by fat cells and stored. Even high normal triglyceride levels predispose you to increase body fat. The body fat in turn produces inflammatory cytokines that increase your pain from all causes, raise your risk of heart attacks and strokes, predispose you to dementia and to cancer.
IGF-I is a growth factor. 85% of this is produced in the liver in response to growth hormone production, and the other 15% is made in peripheral tissues. This is an anabolic hormone that allows you to heal and repair for the damage of day-to-day living. If this level drops to the 25th percentile of normal or lower, your risk of dying within the next six years is increased by about 48% over baseline. Low normal ranges of this hormone also increase your risk of diabetes, accelerate your cognitive decline, and predispose you to cardiovascular disease.