It is a constant struggle to decide on what to buy to stay healthy and how to buy just enough. Today marks the start of New Day’s 4 week series “Shop 5 for Your Health”. Nutritionist, Deborah Enos, discusses 5 items to add to your shopping cart each week, and how to incorporate them into your family meals.
5 Items of the Week:
1. Turkey bacon
· Add 2 pieces of cooked bacon to a Ziploc as an instant and high energy afternoon snack
· Take 2-3 slices of cooked bacon and use a pair of scissors to chop it into scrambled eggs
· Scrambled eggs with black beans wrapped in a gluten free tortilla
· Hard boiled eggs, peeled and ready to go as a high energy breakfast or mid-morning snack
· Crumbled on top of the black bean soup
· Enjoy a bag during lunch, add to your salad or just eat em!
4. Nuts & pumpkin seeds & Hemp seeds
· Add Hemp seeds to your Black bean soup for an additional boost of protein
· Make a snack mix that’s a combo of nuts & pumpkin seeds. This is an appetite killing snack to keep in your desk or handbag.
5. Black beans
· My super yummy, “Good Enough for Company” Black Bean Soup
· Rinse & drain a can of black beans; add them to the breakfast burrito
Recipes on set:
“Good Enough for Company” Black Bean Soup:
· Add two cans of Organic S & W Black Beans to your blender/VitaMix.
· Then add 1 cup of low sodium salsa and blend until it's at desired consistency.
· Too thick? Add some water or low-sodium chicken broth.
· Transfer the soup to a saucepan and heat.
· Add 1 Tbsp. of taco seasoning or season to taste.
· If you want to get fancy, add some chopped cilantro and crumbled popchips chips.
Gluten Free Breakfast Burrito
· Scramble two eggs and add to a gluten free corn tortilla
· Take ¼ cup of rinsed and drained black beans and add to the burrito
· For extra crunch you can add crumbled popchips
· Roll up and enjoy!
· If taking to work, keep the egg & bean mixture separate. Add the mixture to the warm tortilla when ready-yum!
· To warm up the tortilla: take a corn tortilla and wrap in a paper towel. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of water on the paper towel, place in a large Ziploc and zip ½ way. Place in microwave for about 15-20 seconds.