Hair loss can be devastating, and in general, there are a number of health factors involved in keeping our hair looking good. Today we're exploring that delicate balance. Dr. Marina Abrams, from Water's Edge Natural Health, is here to tell us everything we need to know about hair loss, and how to take steps towards preventing it.
Causes of Hair Loss
1) Poor digestion and lack of proper absorption of nutrients.
2) Genetics. Having a family history of alopecia in either parents. This gives you a higher risk for hair loss.
3) Unbalanced hormones. Abnormal level of male or female hormones can be cause of dramatic hair loss.
4) Stress, illness, and childbirth can cause temporary hair loss.
5) Fungal infections of the scalp can cause hair loss.
6) Drugs: chemotherapy drugs for cancer treatments, blood thinners, beta-adrenergic blockers used to control blood pressure, and birth control pills, can cause temporary hair loss
Foods that help with hair health
Eat foods that are rich in Iron. This includes red meat, egg yolks, dark leafy greens, dried fruit, liver and artichokes.
Eat food that are rich in Zinc. This includes cashews, pecans, almonds and oysters.
Eat foods that are rich in Protein. This includes chicken, turkey, fish, dairy products, pork, lean beef, beans, eggs, nuts and seeds.
Eat foods that are rich in essential fatty acids. This includes salmon, flax seeds, sardines and walnuts.
Eat foods that are rich in vitamins Biotin and B12. This includes egg yolks, beans, fish, legumes, nuts, oatmeal, peanut butter, poultry and yogurt.
Eat foods that are rich in Vitamins A & C. This includes spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, bell peppers, kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts and strawberries.
Click HERE for the official Water's Edge website.
Click HERE for Salon Circa