According to the Center for Disease Control, 42% of Americans will be obese by the year 2030. Weight gain, junk foods and exhaustion seems to be an epidemic. Can we really trace it back to what we eat? We need to start looking at food as if it’s medicine. It can bring energy levels up or it can eat thru your energy reserve. Eating a high energy lunch is probably the 2nd best plan of attack to fix this problem, eating breakfast is #1.
The key to making this plan work is planning ahead.
Here are Deb's top 5 High Energy Lunches:
1. ENERGY GALORE SMOOTHIE: ½ cup frozen pineapple, 1 cup of frozen berries, 1 cup of spinach, 1 & ½ cups of unsweetened coconut milk, ½ cup of carrots, 1 Tbs of ground Flaxseed, 1 Tbs of nut butter (peanut, almond, or your choice), ¾ cup of Greek yogurt (low fat). Blend to desired consistency. I like mine a bit more “chunky” I find that it stays colder longer.
2. Sandwich (Dave’s Killer bread, pita or sandwich thins): Avocado, sliced leftover rotisserie chicken from Costco, spinach, mustard and my secret taste weapon: Laughing Cow Cheese. It’s low fat, adds a creamy texture and is super low calorie
3. Pre-made salad from Trader Joe’s : Butter lettuce, radish, artichoke & almond.
4. Dinner leftovers: Grilled chicken or leftover Costco rotisserie chicken, Farro (whole grain) and a green veggie (broccoli or asparagus).
5. Trader Joe’s Chicken Goyzapotstickers with veggies. Add a side of sliced bell peppers (or veggie of your choice) to boost the fiber & antioxidant content of this meal.
For more information go to: http://www.deborahenos.com/