Cast members of the musical “Jersey Boys” joined New Day in studio to create Frankie Valli’s real Jersey meatballs.
Their production, which has been called “one of the most entertaining musicals of the last decade,” offers a behind the scenes look at the rags-to-rock-to-riches story of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons.
It opens at the 5th Avenue Theatre tomorrow and runs through May 4.
The recipe they prepared in studio is below.
Frankie Valli’s Secret Recipe for Meatballs
- A “whole-lotta” fresh breadcrumbs (about 1½ cups)
- About 1 cup milk (warm)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground pork or veal
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- About 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- Remove all jewelry, especially rings – wash hands
- Soak breadcrumbs in warm milk for a few minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients and combine with jewelry-free, clean hands
- Roll mixture into sizeable balls (about 2 inches in diameter)
- Brown meatballs well in frying pan with olive oil – finish cooking in a simmering pan of Italian gravy (i.e. tomato sauce)
- Serve meatballs (garnish with parsley, freshly grated parmesan) over pasta with a piece of crusty bread on the side