Posted on December 22, 2010 at 3:31 PM
Wednesday, Dec 22 at 3:31 PM
As we crank up our heaters and string up those Christmas lights, it's important to be aware of the safety and fire hazards facing us this time of year.
Captain Albert Smalls from the Seattle Fire Department is here with tips to help us stay safe over the holidays.
· Maximum of 3 strands connected
· Check rating on extension cords so you don’t overload them
· Turn off lights when not at home.
· Keep trees and garlands moist/watered
· Keep away from heat.
· Give heaters plenty of space (don’t place anything close to or touching them)
· Plug directly into wall – not extension cord
· Turn off heaters when leaving room
· Make sure your fireplace is cleaned
· Don't use generators or gas/charcoal grills inside because of the potential danger of carbon monoxide poisoning
· Use sturdy candleholder designed for candles
· Place them where they won't be knocked over
· Extinguish when leaving room
· Have them and test them regularly
· Have an escape plan