Posted on October 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM
Monday, Oct 4 at 11:10 AM
Scott Nagel, Festival Director for the Dungeness Crab & Seafood Festival, talks about the upcoming event happening Oct. 9 & 10. Kevin Kennedy talks Margaret and an audience member through a practice run of the Catch-A-Crab Derby.
Dungeness Crab Recipes
Dungeness Crab Bisque
Makes 6 servings.
· 1 tbsp. minced onion
· 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
· 2 tbsp. flour
· 2 cups each chicken broth and half-and-half
· 1 lb. dungeness crab meat, thawed if necessary
· chopped parsley
Saute onion in butter. Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in chicken broth and half-and-half; cook and stir 5 minutes. Break crab into chunks; add to broth. Salt to taste. Heat thoroughly. Garnish with parsley.
Dungeness Crab Jambalaya
Makes 4 or 5 servings.
· (2 to 3 lb.) dungeness crab, thawed if necessary
· 2 slices bacon, diced
· 1/2 cup each chopped onion and green pepper
· 1 tbsp. flour
· 3 cups cooked rice
· 1 can (14-1/2 to 16 oz.) tomatoes, undrained
· 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
· 1/4 tsp. paprika
· 1/8 tsp. thyme, crushed
Lift off back shell of crab. Remove and discard viscera and gills. Rinse crab thoroughly under cool, running water. Break off legs; crack along edges. Cut legs into serving-sized pieces. Break body section into several pieces; remove meat and reserve. Cook bacon until crisp. Add onion and green pepper; cook until tender. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients except crab meat; break up tomatoes with spoon. Cook 5 minutes; stir occasionally. Stir in reserved crab meat. Arrange cracked crab legs over rice mixture. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until crab is thoroughly heated.
Cracked Dungeness Crab with Spinach Dipping Sauce
Makes 3 or 4 servings
· (2 to 3 lb.) Dungeness crab, thawed if necessary
· 1/3 cup each dairy sour cream and mayonnaise
· 1/2 cup torn spinach leaves*
· 2 sprigs parsley, stems removed
· 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
· 1/4 teaspoon basil, crushed
· Dash each salt and pepper
Lift off back shell of crab. Remove and discard viscera and gills. Rinse crab thoroughly under cool running water. Break off legs; crack along edges. Break body section in half; break each half into several pieces. Microcook or steam until thoroughly heated; cool and refrigerate until served. Blend remaining ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth. Chill at least 1 hour to blend flavors. Serve crab with sauce.