As part of the “Get Fit” challenge, Dr. Neeru Bakshi, an eating disorder specialist from the Moore Center in Bellevue, joined KING 5 in studio to talk about body image.
To improve your body image, Dr. Bakshi suggests talking to people the way you want to be talked to and to stop comparing yourself to others.
The issue of body image is a hot topic and has been brought to light recently by two young women who pledged to wear only bikinis for 30 days to raise awareness of eating disorders.
Here are Dr. Bakshi’s 5 Tips for a healthy body image:
- Do something you enjoy that is not focused on your body, such as knitting, beading, reading, etc.
- Remove "good food, bad food" talk from your vocabulary. Remember it's all about moderation.
- Surround yourself with people who have healthy relationships with their bodies, food and weight.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. Being unique is what makes our world a wonderful place!
- Help others feel better about themselves - offer a friend or family member a heartfelt non body focused compliment every day.