There is a whooping cough epidemic happening in Washington state and around the country. Seattle Mama Doc, Dr. Wendy Sue Swanson, was on KING 5 with information about the outbreak and what parents can do to protect their children.
Pertussis/Whooping Cough Shots:
- Infants/kids get TDaP 2,4,6 & 15 months
- Teens & adults get Tdap once
- Protections from the shot wears off. Need boosters!
- All those over 11 need a Tdap booster, even grandparents
What Parents Can Do:
- Make sure your child is up to date on their shots.
- "Cocoon" newborn babies -- surround them with immunized people
- TDaP is especially important for pregnant moms
- See doctor if concerned. Whooping cough can come even when immunized
- WA State Pertussis Epidemic Data
- Does The Whooping Cough Shot Last?
- How to "Cocoon" A Newborn
- What Is The Tdap Shot?