It’s the time of year for “hay fever” and spring allergies. Often at first glance it’s hard to know if a child just has a cold or is developing allergies. Here are some tips and reminders:
What Is Hay Fever And Why?
- Hay fever is allergic reaction to pollens in air & environment
- Typically first seen around age 3 to 4 years
- If parent has allergies, 25% chance child will too
Medications To Treat Allergies
- Typically over-the-counter meds are antihistamines
- OTC meds for children 6 and up
- Don’t use allergy meds to sedate your child
What Parents Need To Know
- 1 in 5 Americans have allergies, hay fever most common
- Often allergy symptoms change with age
- Read medication labels for ingredients, talk with doctor for kids <6
- Is is allergies or is it a cold?
- Allergies from American Academy of Pediatrics
- Common Cold versus Allergy?