A massive meat recall by Rancho Feeding Corporation has expanded to include products distributed to some Fred Meyer and QFC stores in Oregon and Washington, and has prompted a recall of the popular Hot Pockets Philly Steak and Cheese sandwiches.
Several small businesses in Washington state are also affected by the recall.
In addition, the FSIS said Tuesday that they believe the recalled products were shipped to distribution centers and retail establishments nationwide.
Approximately 8,742,700 pounds of meat distributed by Rancho Feeding Corp. of Petaluma, Calif. was recalled Feb. 8 because it was processed from "diseased and unsound animals" and was "unfit for human consumption," according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service.
The USDA classified the recall as a Class 1, “a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”
No illnesses have been reported.
Nestle has voluntarily recalled their Philly Steak and Cheese in three different pack sizes and Hot Pockets brand Croissant Crust Philly Steak and Cheese, in the two-pack box. Nestle says no other batches, sizes, including multi-packs, or varieties of Hot Pocket products are affected.
List of Nestle products affected by recall
If you have purchased the affected batches of Hot Pockets, return it to the place of purchase for a full refund or contact Nestle Consumer Services at (800) 392-4057.
The USDA notice issued Feb. 8 said the suspect meat was sold to companies in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas. On Monday, the USDA expanded the recall to include stores and processors in Oregon and Washington and on Tuesday the USDA said the products were shipped nationwide.
List of the recall products:
- "Beef Carcasses” (wholesale and custom sales only)
- 2 per box "Beef (Market) Heads" (retail only)
- 4 gallons per box "Beef Blood" (wholesale only)
- 20-lb. boxes of “Beef Oxtail”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Cheeks”
- 30-lb. boxes of " Beef Lips"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Omasum"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Tripas"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Mountain Oysters"
- 30-lb. boxes of "Sweet Breads”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Liver”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripe”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tongue”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Cuts"
- 40-lb. boxes of "Veal Bones"
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Feet”
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Hearts”
- 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Trim"