There are no shortage of gatherings and festivities this time of the year, but if you’re like us, we hate showing up empty-handed. A bottle of wine is always nice, but there is another really unique idea for a hostess gift. Chief mixologist Mi-Suk Ahn from Boka Restaurant and Bar shows how to make an infusion involving spirits.
Infusion instructions for Huckleberry Gin:
- Put approx. 1 cup of huckleberries (fresh or frozen) into the jar
- Fill the jar with gin
- Close the jar and give it a light shake
- Store in a cool, dark area
- Check on it every 2 days: give it a few light shakes to move the berries around and loosen sediment, then open and taste
- If you would like more huckleberry flavor to come through, close the jar and let it sit longer, tasting again every 1-2 days (no longer than 10 days total) – if you still desire more huckleberry flavor, strain the berries out and replace with new ones
- Once you reach the desired flavor, give it a shake to loosen sediment from the bottom, then filter the mixture through a coffee filter, cheese cloth or strainer depending on the desired clarity of the final product
- Store the infusion in an air tight container
Recipe for Mi-Suk’s Huckleberry Finn holiday cocktail:
- 2 oz huckleberry infused gin
- 1/2 oz campari
- 1/4 oz orange juice
- 4 leaves of basil- lightly muddled
- Shake + strain into martini glass
- Garnish with orange peel
If you want to get an in-person lesson from Mi Suk, she’ll be teaching a class on December 10th at 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. at Hotel 1000.
Festivities will launch with a Holiday Tree Trimming Party & Ugly Holiday Sweater Swap on Tuesday, November 27th from 4 – 6 pm.
For more information on upcoming events, click HERE.