Seattle, WA – A special edition of KING 5’s Evening Magazine featuring entertaining things to do and see in Las Vegas won the 2012 Gracie Award for Outstanding Magazine / local market.
The Gracies, presented by the Alliance for Women in Media Foundation (AWM Foundation), recognize exemplary programming created for women, by women and about women in all areas of electronic media, and encourage the realistic and multifaceted portrayal of women in entertainment, news, features and other programs.
“Evening Magazine tells stories of the Northwest like no one else,” said Rick Swanson, Director of Programming and Marketing for KING, KONG, and NWCN. “Our team took the same approach on the road and hit the jackpot – a beautifully told all-access-pass to the best stories of Las Vegas.”
AWM President Erin M. Fuller wrote in her congratulations letter to KING 5, “In a year with a record-setting number of entries, your submission displayed superior quality in writing, production and programming.”
Highlights of Evening Magazine’s “Vegas Exposed” show from May 2011 include:
- The birthplace of Las Vegas – Fremont Street, with its huge canopy of lights and Vegas style impersonators striking poses for tourists. And the most memorable way to experience the original Vegas – cruising above Fremont Street at 30 miles per hour on a zip line.
- Neon Graveyard – Evening’s Jim Dever explores the “City of Lights” colorful neon past at this sign repository that’s a history museum and an art museum. Take a walk back in time to the Rat Pack glory days, gazing at vintage signs from the Stardust, the Flamingo, and Desert Inn.
- Vegas Jubilee! – Host Meeghan Black goes behind the scenes into the showgirls dressing room at the iconic Jubilee! - the longest running production in Vegas history. See the costumes, the heavy head dresses, and get a glimpse of what it’s like to be a Las Vegas showgirl.
Other KING 5 Gracie Award Winners (2008 – 2004):
- 2008 - 25 Things You Can Do To Prevent Cancer – Outstanding Magazine Show.
- 2007 - A Crown for Kathrina – Outstanding Documentary, mid-length format.
- 2007 - Gifts of Life – Outstanding Children / Adolescent Program.
- 2006 - 48 Hour Films – Outstanding Reality Show.
- 2005 - 55 Ways to Stay Young – Outstanding Magazine Show.
- 2005 - Generation at Risk – Outstanding Children / Adolescent Program.
- 2004 – Hollywood Exposed – Outstanding Entertainment Program – Reality.
- 2004 – Northwest Backroads: Great Escapes – Outstanding Magazine Program.
More information on the Gracie Awards and the charitable non-profit Alliance for Women in Media Foundation is available at www.thegracies.org.
KING 5 is part of Belo Corp (BLC), one of the nation’s largest pure-play, publicly-traded television companies that owns and operates 20 television stations (nine in the top 25 markets) and their associated Web sites. Belo stations, which include affiliations with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW and My Network TV, reach more than 14 percent of U.S. television households in 15 highly-attractive markets. Belo stations rank first or second in nearly all of their local markets. Additional information is available at www.belo.com.