Contact: Betsy Robertson, Community Relations Manager
(206) 448-5555 email@example.com
May 22, 2012
SEATTLE—The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) presented KING 5 with three 1st place awards at its Northwest Excellence in Journalism banquet on May 19. The awards recognize the “very best in journalism” in SPJ’s Region 10, comprised of Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Montana and Washington.
First place recipients include:
1) General News Reporting • Chris Ingalls • Waterfront Welfare
2) Feature News Reporting • Joe Fryer and Ken Jones • When September Ends
3) Online Community Engagement • king5.com staff
The station placed among the top three in six additional categories:
1) 2nd place: General News Reporting • Linda Byron, Kellie Cheadle, Steve Douglas and Randy Eng • Bully with a Badge
2) 2nd place: Online Arts, Entertainment, Lifestyle • king5.com staff • Seattle Man Proposes with Sound of Music Flash Mob
3) 3rd place: Investigative Reporting • Kellie Cheadle, Steve Douglas and Chris Ingalls • Their Crime, Your Dime
4) 3rd place: News Site General • king5.com staff
5) 3rd place: Innovation award • king.com staff • KING5 Mobile
6) 3rd place: Lucas Anderson • Photography • Seattle Students Walk Out to Protest Education Cuts
SPJ received more than 2100 entries from more than 250 news outlets and journalists in the five-state region. Judges across the United States were tasked with choosing finalists in 184 categories.
These honors are in addition to other prestigious awards KING 5 has received since April: a Peabody Award for its investigative series, Their Crime, Your Dime; a National Headliner Award for “Public Service” for the same series and for “Feature, Sports or Human Interest” for A Family’s Courage; and a record 95 Regional Emmy Awards.
# # #
KING 5 is part of Belo Corp (BLC), one of the nation's largest pure-play, publicly-traded television companies that owns and operates 20 television stations (nine in the top 25 markets) and their associated Web sites. Belo stations, which include affiliations with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW and MyNetwork TV, reach more than 14 percent of U.S. television households in 15 highly-attractive markets. Belo stations rank first or second in nearly all of their local markets. Additional information is available at www.belo.com.