New Day Sterling Bank Hero Contest (April 2013)
Official Contest Rules
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE ONE’S CHANCE OF WINNING.
2. Eligibility Requirements: The contest is open to legal residents of the state of Washington who are 13 - 25 years of age as of January 18, 2013 and who are students at a Washington State recognized educational institution or registered home school. Contestants under the age of 18 must have parental or legal guardian permission to enter. Employees, temporary employees, independent contractors and interns of KING-TV (“Sponsor”), Belo Corp., Sterling Bank, their subsidiaries, affiliates, other contest sponsors, and their advertising and promotional agencies, and such employees’ immediate family and household members, and the contest judges’ immediate family and household members, are not eligible to enter. The term “immediate family members” includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and grandchildren. Contest judges may include KING-TV staff and representatives from title sponsor Sterling Bank. Contestants who have a current or past professional relationship with such judges will be deemed ineligible.
3. How to Enter: Contestants can self-nominate or be nominated beginning January 18, 2013 via email submission to the alias “email@example.com.” Contestants or nominator must provide one recent (taken within last six months) photograph of the nominee, 250 words or less detailing the nominee’s story, as well as the nominee’s contact information. Entry forms and photographs become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. EACH PHOTO SUBMISSION MUST BE AN AUTHENTIC, ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPH AND THE CONTESTANT OR NOMINEE MUST OWN THE COPYRIGHT IN THE PHOTOGRAPH.
Finalists must be available to come in-studio for an appearance on New Day Northwest on April 4, 2013. Travel expense reimbursement will not be provided.
Nomination Period starts January 18, 2013 at 11 am PST and ends on March 15, 2013, at 5:00 pm PST.
Winner will be selected between March 16, 2013 and March 22, 2013.
Winner will be announced on-air on April 4, 2013.
No submissions will be accepted after the deadline for any reason. The sole determinant of time for the purposes of the Contest will be Belo’s server machine(s) located in the Central Standard Time (CST) zone. Contestants entering close to the posted deadline do so with this information in mind.
No responsibility is assumed by KING Broadcasting Company dba KING-TV, Belo Corp., their respective subsidiaries, parents, partners, or other Sponsors for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur. Entries will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet Access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned to the Contestant. Multiple entries by the same person, including those made electronically by one person using one or more e-mail accounts, will result in disqualification. All entries must be submitted from a valid e-mail account that may be identified with a natural person by appropriate independent means, including, without limitation, reverse domain name search. Potential winner may be requested to provide Sweepstakes Providers with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry.
5. Finalist and Winner Selection: New Day Northwest personnel will choose 3 contestants from all eligible nominations received by the deadline. Nominations will be judged based on the following criteria: (a) compelling personal story, (b) community involvement embodying the spirit of Rachel’s Challenge, and (c) audience appeal. Each judging element will be worth ten (10) points. The three (3) contestants with the highest scores based on these criteria will be selected as potential finalists. In the event of a tie, the tied entries will be re-judged based on the same criteria. Decisions of the judges are final in all respects.
The finalists will be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility and publicity/liability release within two (2) days of notification. . Failure by a finalist to execute and return required documentation within the specified time will result in disqualification and the contestant with the next highest score will be declared a finalist.
Upon verification of eligibility, the three (3) finalists will be voted upon by Sterling Bank employees based on who best exemplifies the ideals of Rachel’s challenge. Decisions of the judges are final in all respects..
6. Winner must be available to participate in the production of New Day Northwest on January 17, 2013. If any contestant selected as a finalist is unable to participate in Program production on the date specified, such contestant will be disqualified and an alternate finalist selected as noted in Section 5.
7. Odds of Winning: Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
8. Prize: The winner will receive a Sterling Bank gift card in the amount of $250.00
No substitution of prize or cash redemption permitted, except at Sponsor’s discretion. Rights to prize are not transferable. Winner is responsible for all federal, state, and local income taxes on prize value. An IRS form 1099 will be issued for all prizes with a value in excess of $600. Sponsor reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
9. Use of Contest Information: Notwithstanding any contrary provision in any of Sponsor' respective privacy policies, Contestants grant to Sponsor, and Sponsor reserve, the right to use any and all information related to the Contest, including information provided by Contestants in connection with the Contest, for marketing purposes or any other purpose, unless prohibited by law. Contestants may be required to sign a release, which grants to Sponsor the right to use and publish their proper name and state of residence online or in any other media in connection with the Contest. By accepting a prize, winner(s) may be required to sign a release that grants permission to Sponsor to use his or her name, photograph, likeness, voice, prize information and/or biographical information for publicity and promotional purposes without future compensation unless prohibited by law. By entering, contestants release and hold harmless Sponsor, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with the Contest or any prize won. Restrictions, conditions and limitations apply.
CONDUCT: By entering the Contest, contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. The Official Rules will be posted at http://www.king5.com/community/contests/Official-Rules--Sterling--182290641.html throughout the Contest. Contestants further agree to be bound by the decisions of the Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor reserve the right at their sole discretion to disqualify any individual they find to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Web site; or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules.
Contestants agree that in their participation in the Contest they will not use obscene, libelous or slanderous language, or language that infringes upon a third party's trademark, trade name or other intellectual property right or right of privacy. Contestants agree to indemnify and hold harmless King-TV, Belo Corp., their respective subsidiaries, parents, partners, and other Contest sponsors, officers, consultants, agents, and employees against and from all claims, damages liabilities, costs and expenses asserted by third parties alleging that the Contest includes obscenity, libel, slander, or infringes upon the third party's intellectual property or privacy rights, as a direct result of their actions or omissions in connection with the Contest or otherwise relating to their acts or omissions in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, their negligence, gross negligence, or willful misconduct. Contestants further agree to not knowingly damage or cause interruption of the Contest or to prevent others' participation in the Contest.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE BELO WEB SITES OR TO UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PARTICIPANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Winners assume liability for losses or injuries caused or claimed to be caused by participating in the Contest, or by the acceptance, possession, use of, or failure to receive any prize. Sponsor is not responsible: (i) for any lost, late, illegible, incomplete, or misdirected entries; or (ii) for any incorrect or inaccurate information, in the Contest or by any technical or human error that may occur in the processing of submissions in the Contest. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for an error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction of authorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of e-mail or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to contestants or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in the Contest. If the Contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, including legal restrictions, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
11. RULES / WINNERS LIST: Official Rules and the name of the winner may be obtained by sending a self-addressed, stamped #10 envelope to: New Day Northwest Staff, 333 Dexter Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109. Indicate “Sterling Hero Contest Rules Request" or "Sterling Hero Winners List" on the outside of the envelope as applicable. Limit one (1) request per envelope. The request must include the name of the Contest. Winners List will be available 5 days after the winners are confirmed. Questions regarding this Contest may be addressed to: New Day Northwest Staff, 333 Dexter Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109.
12. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: The Contest and all of the related pages, contents and code are copyright King Broadcasting Company, Belo Corp., and/or their sponsors. The names, logos, and icons identifying the products and services of Sponsor are proprietary marks of KING-TV and Belo Corp. Sterling Bank is not affiliated with and does sponsor or endorse the services of Sponsor. Copying or unauthorized use of any copyrighted material or trademarks without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited.
13. GENERAL CONDITIONS: This Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.