The Pet Dish

Find posts by keyword
Find posts by date

Print
Email
|

Spring flowers can be deadly for cats

Spring flowers can be deadly for cats

by SUSAN WYATT / The Pet Dish

Bio

KING5.com

Posted on March 23, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Updated Wednesday, Mar 23 at 2:04 PM

SEATTLE – It's National Poison Prevention Week, and with Spring officially here, the Seattle Animal Shelter is warning cat owners about the dangers spring flowers pose to cats.

“Lilies, including Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily and some species of the day lily can cause kidney failure in cats,” says Don Jordan, director of the Seattle Animal Shelter. “Be aware that all parts of the lily plant are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can be life threatening.”

Within only a few hours of ingesting toxic plant material, a cat may vomit, become lethargic or lose its appetite. These signs continue and worsen as kidney damage progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment by a veterinarian, a cat may develop kidney failure in approximately 36 to 72 hours.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center and the “No Lilies for Cats Campaign,” have developed online materials including photos of common types of dangerous lilies and a list of non-toxic plants. To download the materials, visit http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

The Seattle Animal Shelter is located at 2061 - 15th Ave. W. It's open for adoptions Wednesday through Sunday, noon to 6 p.m.  Call 386-PETS for more information. To view animals available for adoption, visit: http://www.seattleanimalshelter.org
 

Print
Email
|