Tacoma's Museum of Glass and Finland’s iittala, Inc. are teaming up for a weekend dedicated to birds and bird lovers.
This three-day event will feature the debut of the newest limited-edition Birds by Toikka design - "Woodpecker" - which was modeled in the Museum of Glass Hot Shop during the 2010 Bird Lovers’ Weekend. Woodpecker is a limited-edition design of only 200 pieces and is available for purchase exclusively in the MOG Store.
Internationally recognized artist Oiva Toikka has designed hundreds of glass bird species for iittala, a Finnish design company. Since 2004, Toikka has created an annual exclusive bird design that premieres at the Museum of Glass.
For the weekend celebration, iittala master glassblower Tero Välimaa will travel from Nuutajarvi, Finland to work in the Hot Shop and create a selection of Toikka’s bird designs. Other activities include screening of a retrospective documentary of Toikka’s 50-year career, live bird visits from Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium and bird-related hands-on art activities and a Bird Lovers’ Brunch.
8TH ANNUAL BIRD LOVERS WEEKEND
October 14 – 16, 2011
10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday
Schedule of Events:
- 2011 limited-edition Woodpecker available for purchase exclusively in the Museum Store
- Birds by Toikka display in the Grand Hall
- Birds by Toikka glass bird-making demonstrations by Tero Välimaa in the Hot Shop
- Bird-related art activities in the Studio (11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Fri, 12 – 4 p.m. Sat, 1 – 4 p.m. Sun)
- Live bird visits from Pt. Defiance Zoo and Aquarium (1 – 2 p.m. Sat, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Sun)
- Oiva Toikka documentary viewing in the Theater (film rotates throughout the day)
- Lecture with Studio Glass artist and historian Walter Lieberman (2 – 3 p.m. Sun)
Bird Lovers’ Brunch
Sunday, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Enjoy a complimentary brunch and no-host bar and be among the first to purchase select Birds by Toikka specimens created in the Museum of Glass Hot Shop. Tero Välimaa will be present to sign these one-of-a-kind birds. Free for Museum of Glass Members, regular admission for non-members.