Tomorrow is Take Your Dog To Work Day, when businesses across the country invite their employees to bring their canine companions to spend the day at the office.
The event was created in 1999 to celebrate dog ownership and encourage their adoptions from shelters, rescue groups and humane societies. Right now there are 300,000 pets available for adoption on Petfinder.com.
A Web site called myArfie.com is holding a TYDTWD photo contest. The top four photos win PetSmart gift cards.
Oregon-based Banfield pet hospitals allows dogs at their main campus in Portland, and they report that up to 30 dogs "work" on an average business day.
They say having the pooches around reduces stress in the workplace.
Banfield offers the following tips for taking your fuzzy buddy to work:
• Provide your dog with a break outside every couple of hours
• Make sure your pet can attend any meetings scheduled during the day
• Bring plastic bags for cleaning up after pets
• A bed, blanket or towel for your pet to lie on will make them more comfortable
• Pack a mini-meal and snacks, if appropriate
• Favorite toys are fun for pets as long as they don't have squeakers
• Bring a sturdy leash for walking and, if necessary, for confining your pet to a desk area
• Pack bite-size treats to reward good behavior
• Always have a water bowl with fresh water available