KING 5's Jean Enersen emcee's the March of Dimes annual Nurse of the Year awards at the Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue, WA.
The annual event is an opportunity for the March of Dimes to recognize the outstanding contributions and commitment nurses provide to health care in Western Washington.
A total of 115 nurse caregivers were honored, nominated by their peers, patients and doctors to nominate them as a Nurse of the Year. The nominees spanned the Western Washington corridor from the Canadian border all the way down to the Oregon border.
Ultimately, 14 nurses were chosen as winners in the following categories:
- Patient/Clinical Care: Nina Geiger, Harborview Medical Center
- Leadership: Barbara Haner, Providence Regional Medical Center Everett
- Innovation/Creativity: Paula Skomski, Providence Regional Medical Center Everett
- Education: Elaine Beardsley, Seattle Children’s
- Research/Advancing the Profession: Margaret Orn, Harrison Medical Center
- Advocacy for Patients: Diane Cruikshank, Providence Regional Medical Center Everett
- Community Service: Shannon Fitzgerald, Seattle Children’s
- Mentoring: Dale Fukura, Providence Regional Medical Center Everett
- School Nurse: Colette Dahl, Granite Falls School District
- Rising Star: Jami Greenfield, Ocean Beach Hospital
- New Generation: Kimberly Chu, University of Washington School of Nursing
- Perinatal/Pediatric: Valerie MacConnell, Providence Regional Medical Center Everett
- Distinguished Nurse of the Year: Kathleen Johnson of the Edmonds School District
- Legend of Nursing: Frankie T. Manning
Congratulations to the winners!