According to the Washington State Department of Health, the 2016-17 flu season took a record number of lives, claiming 276 deaths. The best way to keep yourself from getting the flu is by getting vaccinated.
Kaiser Permanente discussed how the flu immunization can be a safe and efficient option to fight the flu. The shot is usually covered by most insurance plans.
To keep yourself safe, here are seven other flu defense tips:
- Stay home if you’re feeling ill.
- Wash your hands often and use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, using a tissue or sleeve, but not your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Eat healthy foods and get plenty of rest and physical activity.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Contact a doctor if you are not getting better.