As St. Patrick's Day approaches, get into the spirit with a traditional Irish dish!
Karen McAleese, a chef at the newly reopened Kells Irish Restaurant and Pub shows us how to make Sheperd's Pie and chats about the grand reopening just in time for their 35th annual St. Patrick's Day celebration.
35th Kells St. Patrick's Irish Festival
Thursday, March 15
1921 1st Ave
For information and schedule details on the event go here.
Kells Shepherd’s Pie
A traditional Irish dish
Preheat oven to 350.
• 2 tablespoons Irish butter (such as Kerrygold)
• 1 medium chopped onion
• 2 chopped carrots
• 2 ½ cups browning stock
• chopped parsley and thyme
• 1 tbsp. white pepper
• salt to your liking
• 2 cups cooked minced beef
• 3 cups mashed potatoes
• Heavy cream, white pepper, 2 tbsp. butter
1) On medium heat melt the butter in a saucepan and add the chopped onion. cook until opaque.
2) add the meat, brown slightly. Cover and let simmer for a few minutes.
3) Add the carrots, stock, and herbs.
4) Bring to boil and reduce it a little by boiling for about 5 minutes.
In a separate pot:
5) Peel and cut potatoes, add boiling water and add salt
6) Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat, cover and let cook for 20 minutes or so.
check potatoes with a fork to make sure they are cooked
7) Strain the potatoes and let air for a few minutes to remove as much water as possible
mash potatoes, add butter, salt, white pepper and cream
8) Place meat mixture in a pie dish and cover with the mashed potatoes.
Optional: brush potatoes with whipped egg.
9) Put into a medium hot oven (350f/180c) for about 15 minutes.