Tommy McDonald from Field Roast visits New Day to show the audience how to cook a delicious meatless stew! Field Roast is a local food company known for making meat inspired products without using any meat.
For more information about Field Roast, please CLICK HERE.
Peruvian Sugar Pie Pumpkin Stew
Makes 6 servings
3 sugar pie pumpkins or red kuri squash, tops cut off with seeds and membrane scooped out
1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into ¼” dice
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2½ cups baby spinach
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
1 cups quinoa
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
⅔ pound purple potatoes, cut into ½” dice
½ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 apple, peeled and cut into ½” dice
Small pinch ground cloves
4 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
5 sprigs cilantro, large stems removed and chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 links Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Sausage, grilled
1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
2. In a large bowl combine the onion, carrot celery, potato, spices, quinoa, salt, apple, garlic, jalapeño, olive oil, and black pepper. Toss to combine.
3. Fill each pumpkin with the mixture, dividing equally. Pour vegetable stock in to pumpkin until it reaches a ½” from the top. Place the top of each pumpkin back on top to cover. Move pumpkins to a baking sheet, and bake in oven for about 90 minutes. Liquid will be bubbling out.
4. Serve by placing a small handful of spinach in to each bowl, scoop the stew out on to the spinach, scraping some of the soft flesh of the pumpkin from the side while scooping. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and cilantro.
5. Slice sausage and arrange on top of stew.
6. Note: Keep some extra stock heated when serving. If stew comes out a little thick, add a little stock to thin it out.