Celebrating the delightful cuisine of northern Italy, Cafe Juanita uses ingredients from both Italy as well as the Pacific Northwest.
Today, owner and chef Holly Smith makes their delicious mint stracciatelle gelato. For more on Cafe Juanita, click here to visit their website.
Cafe Juanita's Mint Stracciatelle Gelato
1 Qt milk
1 1/2 cups sugar (333g)
11-12 yolks (225g)
7 ounces chocolate (165g)more or less to taste and preference
10 oz infused cream (1 1/4 cups)
3 bunches (2 ounces +) rest mint with stems
1. Heat cream with mint until it simmers. Turn of heat and cool. Leave mint and cream refrigerated to infuse 4 hours - overnight. Strain once infused.
2. Set a large bowl of ice with a smaller bowl on top ready to strain the final sauce into to cool.
3. To make the base, heat sugar and milk to 160 degrees and sugar is fully dissolved. Turn off heat and begin adding cream to the yolks to temper them. Once you have added 12 ounces of cream you can begin whisking the tempered yolks into the milk and sugar mixture. Continue whisking while carefully bringing to temperature of the mixture to 175 degrees. Strain through a chinoise and cool over ice - using a rubber spatula to gently move mixture and cool as quickly and evenly as possible.
4. Add chilled strained infused cream to the base.
5. Add kosher salt or crushed Maldon salt to taste ( 1/4 teaspoon ) to enhance the flavor.
6. Process the gelato in ice cream maker per manufacturers instructions.